This space is the epitome of a casual, yet elegant, kitchen breakfast nook. It’s relaxed and practical enough for daily family meals and after school homework, but elegant enough to give off a very luxurious vibe for these neutral loving homeowners. So, whats the magic in this design? I think it’s the simplicity; natural light pours through the gorgeous custom roman shades during the day and this stunning chandelier can be dimmed to the perfect “wine-sipping” setting in the evening, all while providing a place for family and friends to gather in the heart of the home.
Let me explain why this design works:
- Above all, my client KNEW she wanted a neutral kitchen area, so thats what we did! She’s a lover of “all things cream and gold” so coming up with the palette was quite easy. We actually started withe light fixture and used that as our jumping off point, which was key to keeping the design cohesive.
- Originally, we had a different “dream chandelier” sourced for this design, but it was quite over budget. I knew we could do better, so I dug deep and found this mother-of-pearl beauty, which was actually even more beautiful than the original! SCORE! Being flexible as a client and resourceful as a designer really is a winning combination – trust my process and I will never do you wrong!
- Because I knew this would be a very colorless space, we had to mix in a variety of textures to keep it interesting and beautiful. The custom window treatments played into the light fixture perfectly, being a sister (not twin) to the pattern in the fabric. This very intentional combination made these two features play very nicely together.
Practical Before Pretty
This is one of my favorite sayings because I TRULY believe if its not practical, who cares if its pretty!? I design spaces and homes where real life meets design and, to me, what that means is that you can live your regular life in my designs and they will stand the test of
kid and pet mess time.
- This space is practical for the daily life of the family who lives here. It can be eaten on, colored on, sat at and spilled on. Wine is poured, homework is done, conversations are had and meals are served all in this ONE spot. It has duel purposes and therefore MUST preform, so we kept things simple so life could happen.
- The chair cushions can be wiped down or even washed and the tray of decor is easily removed when necessary. Since it had to be practical to be pretty, we intentionally designed it that way to best serve this family’s needs. Who doesn’t want the best of both of these worlds?
All of these little design elements come together to make the perfect space for this family. It’s not an accident that it happened this way. Be intentional with how you invest your money in your home. Make those dollars count and create beautiful spaces that you can enjoy today and everyday. Don’t feel like you can do it alone? No worries, contact me and we’ll get to work creating gorgeous spaces in YOUR home!